Skip to content
Wild Mushroom Risotto
- 19 1/2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh wild mushrooms large mushrooms sliced, small mushrooms halved or quartered
- 7 cups (about) low-salt chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup finely chopped leek (white and pale green parts only)
- 1 1/4 cups arborio rice
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup dry white vermouth
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add 1/4 of mushrooms and sprinkle with salt.
- Saute mushrooms until tender and beginning to brown, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Transfer mushrooms to medium bowl.
- Working in 3 more batches, repeat with 6 tablespoons butter, remaining mushrooms, and salt and pepper.
- Bring 7 cups chicken broth to simmer in medium saucepan; keep warm.
- Melt remaining 11/2 tablespoons butter with olive oil in heavy large saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Add leek, sprinkle with salt, and saute until tender, 4 to 5 minutes .
- Add rice and increase heat to medium.
- Stir until edges of rice begin to look translucent, 3 to 4 minute s.
- Add white wine and vermouth and stir until liquid is absorbed, about 1 minute.
- Add 3/4 cup warm chicken broth; stir until almost all broth is absorbed, about 1 minute.
- Continue adding broth by 3/4 cupfuls, stirring until almost all broth is absorbed before adding more, until rice is halfway cooked, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in sauteed mushrooms .
- Continue adding broth by 3/4 cupfuls, stirring until almost all broth is absorbed before adding more, until rice is tender but still firm to bite and risotto is creamy, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, if using.
- Transfer risotto to serving bowl.
- Pass additional Parmesan cheese alongside, if desired.